Sunday, June 24, 2012

Nana and Papa came to town!

Nana and Papa came for a week's visit, which made us all very happy!  Unfortunately I got really sick for the majority of their stay, but I was so thankful to have them here because I could sleep the day away and the kids were still well taken care of and happy.  Plus my kitchen always stays cleaner when my mom is around.  

We still managed to do lots of fun things too!

One day we went to Mesa Falls... as soon as we got out of the car, the kids found a caterpillar, so you know it was going to be a good day!







They also have this really cool interactive visitors center at Mesa Falls.  The kids liked the bear.


One evening we went to the old Teton Dam that broke in the 70s and flooded the whole town of Sugar City.  You can see it behind Brodie in the background.  It used to look more like the Oroville Dam... only not as big, but now both sides of the Dam are wiped out.




Then we took a scary road down to the bottom of the river to go fishing.  On our way down we saw a cow moose.



I didn't feel very good that evening and I know I look mad in the following picture, but I was actually focusing really hard because I was trying to catch a cricket.  We couldn't find any crickets for bait here.  All we had were mealy worms and knight crawlers.  I never have any luck when I fish with worms and I heard a cricket so I was trying to capture it.  I was not successful.  


My dad ended up catching two really good sized fish.  Unfortunately they were cutthroats, so we had to release them.

This little boy's face just melts my heart.


Friday the family packed up and headed to Jackson.  Here we are in Old Downtown Jackson.  Ryker was really into the squirrels.


They have these giant antler arches in the park and I though it would be fun to get a picture of the kids in front of one.  I'm always thinking, maybe this will be the Christmas Card!  But Ryker was still getting enjoyment out of the squirrel and once he finally did start giving me smiles, Brodie decided to be a dinosaur or something.



After downtown we took the kids to a park that happened to be near the ski lift.  I was too scared to take Ryker on it.  It went up really high and I was worried he'd lose interest on the way up and try to wiggle out to his death.  So Brodie and I had a mommy-son date.

On the way up:

Not a cute picture of Brodie.  The sun is in his face and at preschool they were doing sidewalk chalk outside where he managed to step off the ledge and scrape all the skin off his nose.  Poor kid.


Beautiful view at the top!
I liked this picture so much of Brodie that I photo shopped the scabs off his face.


We spent the night in Jackson and in the morning we went into Grand Teton National Park.  Not too far into the park we saw another cow moose.



Then as she was leaving a little baby came out of the bushes to follow her!  Too cute!


We went to Jenny Lake where we took a boat shuttle across the lake to the hidden falls trail head.


It was an easy hike to the falls, but Brodie gave us problems because he decided after we had gotten to the other side of the lake that he needed to go #2.  He refused to go in the bushes and I forced a Ryker diaper on him which he was completely humiliated by.  I felt so bad for him.  He ended up holding it until we got back to the toilets, but he whined pretty much the whole hike, which did not make it as enjoyable as it should have been.







It was a fun day in the park and the boys left sleepy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures...so much fun!