Football season is here and our family has been itchin' to go to a BYU game. It just so happened that one of Bo's good childhood friends was coming out for a visit to the Salt Lake area the same weekend as the BYU vs Texas game, so we knew we had to go. We looked up tickets, but they were $90 each... that wasn't going to work... then about a week before the game, tickets dropped down to $40 each... still pretty pricey for a family of 5... so I put a "In Search Of" request on the local facebook garage sale site and we were able to find 4 tickets for just $10 each! They were pretty high up, but you could still see the game totally fine.
We met up with Bo's friend Aaron at another one of their friend's houses who lived in the area and when it was time, we started the drive down to Provo. Bo rode with Aaron, and the kids and I were in the Prius. The ride down was great until we got to Orem... That's when a hurricane came upon us. I'm not even joking. I thought Rexburg's weather was bad, but this storm was the worst I have ever been in. We just watched the storm roll in over us, with lightening, swirling clouds, 60+ MPH winds and pelting rain. The Prius was rocking back and forth and I was just waiting for something to crash into us. It took us an hour to get to the stadium (which should have been a 5 minute drive) because the lightening took out all the power to the stop lights. The intersections were flooded with water and at one point we were driving through what was a small river to which Brodie exclaimed, "We're going to drive through this river too!?" Yes, even he could tell we were chancing it by driving in a Prius to the other side. You could hear the water under our car and the waves were lapping up against the doors. I called Bo and asked where my SUV was and he said, "You wanted a car that got good gas mileage." Touche.
We were very unprepared for this weather. I checked the forecast before we left, but it said 86 degrees with a 30% chance of thunderstorms... so I figured if it was going to rain, it probably wouldn't last long. Therefore I did not pack any jackets and the boys and I were equipped with only sandals... and I didn't even bring shoes for Mari. The game was delayed for 2 hours... and it rained the entire time. Finally, they started letting people back into the stadium. I had an umbrella in my car, which I was so thankful to see, but turns out they don't let you take umbrellas into the stadium... what!? The guy taking our tickets politely said that I could leave my umbrella on one of the tables they had out (which were covered in umbrellas). I took this as I would be able to get my umbrella back after the game... but when we left, the tables were gone and the umbrellas were no where to be found. I'm still a little bitter about that. I've had that umbrella since high school! Umbrellas usually break on me, but that one has held up strong.
Buds
The kids had a blast. It is so loud and energetic in that stadium! (especially when you are winning)
Ryker was really into the Cougar mascot. He kept saying, "I really like that cougar!"
Brodie was so into the experience and was continually saying, "Go BYU!" the entire game.
And Mari was awesome. She really is a great baby. She was happy the whole time and then took a nap for the 3rd and part of the 4th quarter. When it would rain, we would snuggle under our towel and she was just super content watching all the commotion.
The boys would get chilly now and then, so they had to take turns sharing Mari's blanket and snuggling with mom and dad.
Touchdown!!! --- Ryker was really excited too, but I pulled out the camera, and for whatever reason, whenever I pull out the camera, he puts on his grumpy face and wants nothing to do with it... here are 3 pictures I snapped really fast... you can see his immediate scowl and him putting his arms down. That kid!
So we took him out of the picture and got one of just Daddy and Brodie.
The game ended with BYU winning 40-21!!!!!!! The boys loved it when the touchdown cannon went off and they enjoyed learning the BYU touchdown chant. Plus there were fireworks at the end, so that's always fun.
After the game, we spent the night at Bo's sister's house and then woke up early to meet back up with Aaron and his family at temple square. On our way there we got Krispy Kreme donuts... a must when you are in Utah. The donuts were much sweeter then Bo and I remember. When you get to the second donut, you start feeling sick before you can even finish it. Bo and I used to share a dozen when we were in college (obviously not all at once, but we were able to down two or three donuts no problem) We must be getting old.
Temple Square visitors center. It rained the whole time we were there. And I didn't have my umbrella! It was still fun though. Aaron has a beautiful little family. I wish we could have visited with them more.
Who wants to go to the next game with us?






2 comments:
Oh my goodness! What a trip! During our recent trip to Utah, I checked the weather before leaving and it said 86 with a 20 percent chance of rain. So, it was sunny and hot at the funeral and then we went to our hotel, changed into cool clothes and when we stepped outside it started to pour on us! It only lasted for a little while but Utah has the craziest weather! I totally agree with Krispy Kream being too sweet. It came back to Chico and I took the kiddos awhile ago and it was totally sweeter than I remember! We use to buy a dozen when we were married and ate them in two days!!!!
I like Bo's friend's t-shirt...dunder mifflin! You all look fantastic. Love you!
Rachel
Post a Comment