Saturday, October 12, 2013

Ryker is 3!!

I still can't believe that my baby boy is three.  I always felt like he was going to be two forever.  He is imaginative, stubborn, completely adorable, and a huge mama's boy - which I love.  A couple of his catch phrases are, "They is awesome!"  "I not big boy, I little boy."  and "That my favorite, I love it."  He is a big fan of Mario Kart Wii and loves playing with his toy guns.

Ryker had a hard time trying to figure out a favorite theme for his birthday party.  First he wanted Star Wars.  Then he wanted Batman.  Then he wanted Dinosaurs.  He stayed steady with Dinosaurs for a long time, but then he switched it to Power Rangers.  He finally settled on a Hunting party.

To start his special day, his daddy took him out to get donuts and then took him upland bird hunting.  He loved it and it was so nice for him to get some one on one time with dad.



They got a couple birds, so it was a successful hunt!

Meanwhile, Brodie and I were getting ready for the party... and a couple other neighborhood boys too.  One boy was at our house from 1:30 until about 7:30 at night.  Two other boys came over at about 3:30... the party started at 4:30.  I guess it was just too exciting to wait!  Brodie testing out my balloon animal antlers... not so talented in the the balloon creations... Brodie does look a little like a deer in the headlights in the first picture though.


I made all the kids hunting bows out of pvc pipes and arrows out of dowels with pencil eraser tips.  They were really easy to make and are actually quite impressive!  The boys have been obsessed with them and are getting pretty accurate with their targets.



One of Ryker's requests was a Turkey Pinata (previously was a deer, bear, then pheasant... you get the idea)  So far I've made all my kid's pinatas.  Mostly because their themes aren't very mainstream and so you can't go buy one at the store.  Pinatas always take a lot longer to make then I anticipate.  The birthday boy loved it though, so seeing all that hard work smashed to pieces was worth it!



One of the attendees wanted to try shooting the turkey with his bow and arrow before he started whacking it with the bat.  I honestly thought it wouldn't do anything, but lo and behold the arrow went right into the pinata!  A true turkey hunt!



Brodie kept insisting all day that he was going to be the one to break open the pinata.  When it was his turn up to bat he start attacking that thing with a fury!


Even after the pinata's contents fell out he kept hitting it over and over again.


He wanted to make sure that thing was dead.


I always have high hopes for birthday cakes.  I wish that I could make fancy beautiful cakes, but that just isn't my calling.  So I took the easy way out and printed off some pictures, sealed them in contact paper, adhered them to toothpicks and skewers, and stuck them on top of a sloppily frosted cake.  Oh well.  I did put in a little extra effort and did a "camo colored" center.  When Ryker saw his cake he squealed, "They is awesome!  I love my cake!"  Success!





Ryker was also a huge fan of opening up his presents... so was Brodie.  Poor Brodie was so excited about Ryker's birthday and had a hard time keeping his paws off Ryker's things.


Ryker, your mom and dad love you so very much!  It's hard to express in writing how much we care for you and how much you've touched our lives.  I feel so lucky that I get to be your mom.  Thank you for just being you!

No comments: