Saturday, November 2, 2013

Halloween 2013

First I guess I should at least mention Bo's birthday before the Halloween stuff...
This big boy turned 32!
Happy Birthday Bo!


The day before Halloween seemed more eventful in festivities then the actual day.  Brodie's preschool was having a Halloween Party and he was very excited to wear his costume.  Both Brodie and Ryker decided that they wanted to be skeletons this year.  Skeletons?  Really?  That's not very creative.  But the rules are, if I can make it, then they can be it.  Brodie wanted to be a red skeleton and Ryker wanted to be a green one.  So be it.


One great thing about Ryker going to gymnastics weekly, is that we get to peek in on what Brodie's class is doing as well because his class comes out for gym time while Ryker is there.  Since Ryker turned 3, he is no longer in the mommy and me class.  It feels really weird to only be an observer and not out there with him.

Brodie doing a skeleton dance sideways on the beam.


On this particular day, Ryker's class was doing a skills test.  The coaches are always very impressed with Ryker's abilities.  Out of 20 skills he completed all of them but 4, which is unheard of for a newly turned 3 year old.  He was awarded 2 ribbons for his efforts,  but he was more excited about getting a sucker.



After gymnastics the boys wanted to do some skeleton face painting.  Later that evening we were going to go to a Halloween Party at our church, but you aren't supposed to wear masks, so we opted to paint skeletons on their faces.  I thought they looked pretty cute, but they did not like the feeling of the paint on their faces, so we washed it off and they went without skeleton faces.


After face painting, the boys and I went and found a big piece of cardboard to do a Halloween Photo Board to decorate our car with for trunk or treating.  I loved how it turned out, and the boys really enjoyed helping me.  We decorated our trunk with a spooky skeleton that Brodie named "Bones", had a carved pumpkin with dry ice inside for a foggy effect, and the photo board.  It looked awesome... but it turns out decorating your trunks isn't very popular here... one other car had a pirate flag, but that was it!  Next year I wont put in the effort, although Bo still thinks I should.


The kids definitely got a lot of candy though!


On Halloween Day we carved pumpkins and Bo took the boys out trick or treating.  Mari and I stayed home to hand out candy, but we hardly had any trick or treaters.  Next year I wont buy so much candy!  The boys didn't seem like they were gone very long either.  Infact, Brodie came home before Bo and Ryker did.  He said he was too cold.


We also put some dry ice in an pitcher of homemade apple juice.  Apparently it's supposed to carbonate it.  I was hoping for some bubbly sparkling cider, but it didn't really put that many bubbles in it.


For pumpkin carving this year we decided to let the boys draw the faces.  I loved how the pumpkins turned out!  They are so cute!  And the best part is that all of our pumpkins came from our garden!  I just think that is so awesome!




Ryker drew the two in the middle and Brodie did the two on the outside.


And as tradition, today the boys loaded the pumpkins up into the truck and took them out to the country to shoot them!

And here is a creepy video that Bo sent to my sister and her fiance.  Kids, your dad has a weird sense of humor!

No comments: