Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Fair???

Ok, so I'm not trying to be disrespectful to those of you who love Idaho... there's no doubt this state has a lot of offer.... but what is up with your fairs??!!!  If you could even call it that!  We've been waiting for the fair to come to town all summer and it finally came this weekend, so last night we piled into the car and drove to the fair grounds... but wait... where is the fair??  There were no big rides - no gravaton, no farris wheel, no giant slide for the kids to go down... not even a merry go round!  And the games... there were like 2 booths!  No opportunities to win goldfish or slam the hammer to win a dumb stuffed animal... WHAT?  And don't get me started on the "displays."  The first place carrots were the size of baby carrots at best!  And no giant pumpkins... the biggest produce item was a head of cabbage!  Are there even any pumpkin patches around here???  I'm telling you what... next year I'm entering every single contest.  I can grow a carrot bigger then that!  Think of all the prize money I'll win!  On a more positive note... they don't charge you to get into the fair and rodeos are free, so that's kind of nice, but seriously it felt like we were in the twilight zone!  I hope this experience is only regional and it's not like this everywhere.

There were 5 rides.... if you include the dirty looking bounce house slide.  The bounce house they had blown up at the bank the morning before was more impressive.  Anyways, this was the scariest one there... and my 1 year old could go on it:


The boys did have fun on this one (keep your eye on the kid behind the boys... this is before the ride started and he still looks like he might have some fun)


The ride was so slow Brodie was brave enough to put a hand up in the air (check out the kid... he looks like he's starting to get bored)


Then Brodie really went for it and put both hands up!


(Ok... now the poor kid is completely bored and like, what the heck am I doing on this stupid thing that goes 3 mph?  It looks like he's being punished.)


At least we got a nice photo-op of the kids!


The most fair-like experience was looking at all the animals... although we weren't sure if we were even going to find any.  Luckily we did.  Turns out most 4-Hers around here show chickens...

This buff orphington got 1st place... I think out of the buff orphingtons... she was the only buff there... but still my favorite breed of chicken, so go buffy!


Ryker loved looking at all the chickens.  He would run around the chicken display and shout "Chicken!  Chicken!"  Then he saw one go to the bathroom and proceeded pointing at every single one saying, "Ew. Ew. Ew."  That kid.

Brodie getting swatted by a cow tail.


Yes, lets only pet the cows that are behind bars.  That's much safer.


Sheep!




I think the kids liked testing out the tractors best...




And I love this one of Ryker.  He looks so little and cute.  He also kept saying, "Mooooo."


So yes, we did manage to still have a lot of fun -- thank goodness for kids... but I still feel like we totally got jipped on the whole fair experience.  Next year we'll go to the one in Jackson Hole.

No comments: