Introducing Ryker Steven Scott
5lbs 14oz, 18.5 inches long
Healthy and Cute as can be!
And so the story goes...
Tuesday morning 10/12/2010 I woke up around 7:30 am and felt like I was having real labor contractions. No way right? I mean, I was only 36 weeks along. Bo thought he should stay home, but I honestly thought there was no way I could be in labor so I sent him off to work. About an hour later, I called him and told him he better come home from work. My contractions were 4-6 minutes apart, lasting anywhere from 30-60 sec, and slowly intensifying. I called my doctor's office and asked if there was anyway I could change my weekly appointment to that day because I thought I might be in labor, but I wasn't sure. Of course my doctor was off, but they got me in to see another one. At 1:00 I drove myself to the doctor and had an examination - 4 cm! Ok, this was real. The doctor was concerned and didn't feel comfortable sending me back home because I was only 36 weeks along. He recommended that I go to the hospital to see if they could stop my contractions. This is where I decided it probably wasn't a good idea for me to drive myself to the doctor. After a mini-break down, I met Bo and Brodie at the Park and Ride and we headed to the hospital after dropping Brodie off at one of our friend's house. (Thanks Jill!) Bo and I were very unsure about trying to stop my labor. Our philosophy has always been to trust my body and what's going on with it and let things come as natural as possible. We checked in with the hospital and I was taken to the ER, where I was put in a very small tiny room. I hadn't toured the hospital yet, so I first thought that this was the birthing room and I was freaking out! There was no way I was going to deliver my baby in a room the size of closet on half of a bed. Turns out they had to take me there first because I was under 37 weeks. They monitored the baby and I for an hour to see if things were progressing. The baby was doing great and I had jumped up another centimeter, so they told me I could walk around and then check back in to see if things were still progressing. It felt so nice to finally walk around and Bo and I strolled outside taking breaks to fight through the contractions. We checked back in again and they finally decided to check me into the delivery room, which was MUCH more suitable! I continued to labor and labor and it was awful! I completely understand why women want epidurals. This labor was extremely different from the one I had with Brodie. In both good and bad ways. The labor seemed to go on forever, my water refused to break on its own, and it seemed much more painful. Once I reached 9.5 cm I told the doctor he could break my water and at 7:50 pm it was time to push and Ryker emerged at 8:16 pm!
I was not prepared to be having a baby this early. I thought for sure he would come on Halloween and I would have holiday babies. Or at least that he would wait a few more weeks to make his grand entrance! But, although a little small, he is healthy and happy and we couldn't be more thrilled that he is here!
I have to give a quick shout out to my doctor and nurse. I was very worried about not being able birth this baby on my own terms, but they were amazing and very accommodating! I was in complete control and was able to do things exactly the way I wanted. There were no interventions (other then when I told the doctor to break my water), I was able to drink fluids and eat a meal, and afterwards I felt amazing! I really couldn't believe how great I felt after delivering Ryker. I was able to get up, walk around, eat some more, take a shower...that part was a wonderful experience and something I couldn't do after delivering Brodie because I was so exhausted and weak.
Brodie is taking things pretty well. It's hard to share Mommy's lap when you're used to having it whenever you want, but he's been giving Ryker hugs and kisses and I think he is going to be an excellent big brother.
4 Is A Magic Number!

By the way, Bo did a great job too! He seemed a lot more confident this time around and was a great coach!
Ryker, we are so happy to have you in our family. You are precious and we feel blessed and lucky that you are ours forever!
(Fun Fact: the name Ryker means "Becoming Rich" and we definitely feel that way!)




5 comments:
CUTE! Way to go. I guess every birth is different, even with the same person. Glad you are feeling well!
Congrats!! but I am mad at you right now... how dare you have your baby before me...haha... I am very excited for you guys. He is soo cute. I can't wait to have my little girl here. Hopefully soon!
Congratulations! I'm so glad every thing went as you wanted it too. What a cute little baby boy Riker is.
He looks like his brother, super cute! Congrats again!!
He is adorable! We're at A & A's for Kai's blessing, loving every minute. Can't wait to see Ryker.
Post a Comment