Thursday, August 4, 2011

It's a Chicken Miracle!!!

Exactly 10 months ago... back when Ryker was still in Utero and Brodie sucked on a binky, I did a post.... THIS POST.  I talked about how we went to the pumpkin patch, went to Red Lobster, and then picked up 4 beautiful chickens for my brand new chicken coop and run that I had built that summer.  They were prize looking Buff Orpingtons.  They seemed like happy little chickens, but about 2 months later, tragedy struck and a pack of dogs tore into my chicken coop and they all disappeared.  Once spring came around, my parents replaced my chickens with 4 new ones for my Birthday.

Flash Forward to this afternoon.  The kids and I walked out to get the mail like we do every day, only today I heard a weird noise.  I thought maybe it was the puppies, or my chickens who were out roaming around the yard, but it didn't quite sound like either of them.  The kids and I investigated further and saw two chickens in the bushes.  I wondered how in the world my chickens got out there, because they are very good at staying in their yard and I have never had a problem with them wandering.  The kids and I went to go and get a little cage so we could return to fetch the chickens, but first I took a peak in the back yard and saw all 4 of my chickens roaming around.  Hmmm...  so the kids and I went back to try to grab the chickens, but they were fast wild chickens.  Once Bo got home from work, we tried again and after a long chase we got both of the chickens!

GUESS WHAT!!  They are two of the original Buff Orpingtons!  They made it through the snow, the cold winter, and somehow survived!  How I never noticed them before, I have no clue!  How an animal didn't find and devour them, I have no clue!  It is absolutely amazing!  And just in case you are doubting that they are the original chickens... they are.  Bo and I are 100% positive they are! 

This is the bush where they lived:


Upon further investigation, I noticed that they had made little tunnels and burrow and roosts!  These chickens are incredible!

Here are the two little ladies.  Wild and scared, but they already seem to be adapting back into their pen and really enjoyed their chicken scratch and fresh water!


And now we're up to 6! 


We'll be moving into town in a few weeks and I'm told I can't take all 6 of my chickens, but after all we've been through, how could I not?  These are lucky chickens!


It's a chicken miracle!

3 comments:

The Leonards said...

Oh my goodness, that's crazy! I had to reread the post to let the insane news sink in. They survived! They must be some smart chickens!

Lanenga Family said...

hahaha. Wow. The next Rocky Balboas! :)

Sam and Melissa said...

So funny! Maybe they will start saying golden eggs :)