Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Life is TOUGH.

Everyone goes through trials in their life.  Some are big some are small.  Luckily I've never had any really big challenges.  I look at others who are struggling with the loss of a loved one, the break up of a marriage, dealing with substance abuse, sickness, etc. and feel for them and pray that I never have to deal with any of that stuff.  For me, my trials consist of really small annoyances that pile on top of one another and just drive me crazy.  For example, I'll try to do a project that in theory should be extremely easy and take no more then 15 minutes, but somehow it will take me hours to finish because I can't find a certain tool, or my sewing machine malfunctions, or I stub the same toe 3 times in a row crossing the room, or I'm just not patient enough to wait for the glue or paint to dry before I proceed to the next step.  I'm always telling Bo that all these small challenges are going to send me to the loony bin one day. 

Well, I've managed to come across another challenge that really shouldn't be that big of deal, but I can't stop crying over the situation.  The real reason why we went to Idaho last week was because Bo had a job interview in Rexburg.  It's all my fault really.  Bo's job with PG&E isn't going to last forever because of the smart meters.  This weighs heavy on Bo, since his job in our family is to provide for us.  We've always hoped that Bo would some how be able to transfer into a new job within PG&E, but because he was hired as a temporary status employee, he does not have bidding rights, so when a new job opens, he has to apply like he is an average Joe off the street.  Nevermind you that we've been with this company for 4+ years.  Anyways, how long we'll be able to be employed by PG&E is very uncertain.  It could be 3 years, or it could be 6 months.  You just never know.  So one afternoon Bo and I were talking and Bo said maybe we should look for other meter reader jobs in other states because it might be easier to move up in another company (Bo would really like to get into an electrician apprenticeship of some sort).  Being the fool I am, I googled meter reader jobs and the first one that popped up was a full time position in Rexburg, Idaho.  That is where Bo's parents currently live, so we thought what the heck, let's apply.  So we applied that night and the next day the job was removed from their website.  Bo didn't want to tell his parents that he applied because he thought it would be fun to tell them after he got the job, if he did and have it be a surprise.  But stupid me talked Bo into telling his dad right away and his dad just so happened to know someone who made sure that he got an interview.  We decided to drive out to Idaho to do the interview and have a good excuse to visit Bo's parents.  We left Wednesday night and had to drive straight through because Bo's interview was at 8:00 Thursday morning.  We were making ok time and then half way through Nevada and for the rest of our trip we kept hitting snow storm after snow storm which slowed us down a lot.  And we lost an hour when we crossed into Mountain Standard Time.  We ended up getting Bo to his interview at 8:01.  He passed the requried IQ Test and gave one of his best interviews ever.... of course.

So what happened yesterday morning...  Bo got offered the job.  And that is why I have been non-stop crying.  I love living in Burney.  I love our house.  I love our friends.  I love our church.  I love the community.  I love everything about living here.  I love being so comfortable.  Both Bo and I were really hoping that Bo wouldn't get the job so that we wouldn't have to make such a tough decision, but it looks like we'll be moving to Idaho.  I think it will be better for us as far as long term, but it is really going to suck.  We are going to be taking a huge pay cut and the rent in Idaho is not as cheap as I believed it would be.  Moving will be awful.  Renting a Truck to move is incredibly expensive.  And Idaho is so darn far away from California!  On the plus side, there is a beautiful temple, other things should be cheaper as far as utilities, gas, and food.  We'll be near Bo's parents so the kids can get to know them better.  And after 6 months Bo will have the opportunity to bid into apprenticeships and hopefully move on up the ladder.  Then, once he reaches journeyman status, maybe, just maybe we can move back to the California that I love so much.  A girl can dream, right?

Are you as bummed as I am now?
(This question will exclude Bo's parents who are super excited)
Here is a pick me up for you...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup, I'm bummed...BUT, I am being selfish when feeling bummed your are moving. In all actuality, I would have done the same as you did. The future is something we MUST look at and prepare for. I know that at this point in our life we are now looking at where we can totally retire and be able to live comfortably. So far, looks like Ecuador. This is still being tossed around.

I'm proud of you for making such a hard decision.