Monday, October 24, 2011

Dishes.

I don't think I've ever come across someone who actually likes to do dishes and I am no exception.  Dishes are the worst chore ever and it is a constant chore.  It's not like cleaning the bathroom where you just have to do that once a week.  It's a multiple times a day chore.  Well I have not had a dishwasher in 4 years!  In this day and age how is it possible that there are still homes that don't have dishwashers in them?!  Apparently a lot, because the last 3 houses we've been in haven't had one.  When we decided to move from Hat Creek into town I told Bo that a dishwasher was a must.  Of course the house we picked didn't have one.  I asked the landlord if she cared if I put one in and she said that she didn't, but I wasn't about to buy a new dishwasher.

Then came the call one fine morning.  My friend called me and told me that her friend had a dishwasher that they were willing to give to me for FREE!  They thought that their old dishwasher was leaking so they bought a new one.  Come to find out their pipes were backing up and it wasn't their dishwasher afterall.  The kids and I rushed over and snatched that thing up quick!  I called a plumber to have him give me an estimate on how much it would cost to install.  He came over and said it would be at least $170!!!!  Ack!  I told him I would get back to him, but knew I never would, that's too much money.  Bo told me he thought we could do it ourselves and it shouldn't be too hard so I you tubed a few videos online and did a lot research and felt confident enough to try it.

So while my husband was at work, I busted out a cabinet.


And plumbed a drain and water supply. (Plumber Bob - Grandpa would be proud)  And did the electrical.  And installed our new dishwasher!


I am happy to report it works!  And there are no leaks and it only cost me a little over $20 for the parts and everything is running wonderfully and I HAVE A DISHWASHER!!!!!  It is so exciting!  It almost makes me like doing the dishes.  Almost.

Anyways the point of this post, other then to brag a little, is if you really want something done then just try it!  You might be surprised at what you can do.  And if at first you don't succeed, then hire someone to do it for you..... but at least try first!

Also, Bo would like me to throw a little disclaimer out there to say that he would have done it for me if I wasn't so impatient.

2 comments:

The Leonards said...

That is seriously awesome and I am not surprised at all that you were able to do it yourself!

Mrs. Hislop said...

What a woman!

You should feel lucky . . . you haven't had a dishwasher for four years? I haven't lived in a house with a dishwasher for TWENTY years.